Monday, March 29, 2010

The basics

I decided to start a blog to blurt out my political opinions based on the debates and issues of the day. I try and keep up with politically important events in the US and abroad when I am able to fit it into my otherwise busy schedule and sometimes, especially with the idiocy going on lately, I want to get out some of my opinions.

I am not a democrat. Or a republican. I self-identify as a libertarian, though I strongly disagree with the libertarian party on many issues (particularly on taxes). I'm going to lay out a basic description of some of my political opinions, which I will go into more detail on in later posts.

Topic #1: Abortion.
I don't like abortion. I make no bones about this. I'm not a big fan of it. I think the way some people treat abortion like it's just another birth control option is disgusting. It's morally reprehensible. That's not to say that I look down on people who get pregnant by accident - who took precautions (BC didn't work, the condom broke, the surgery botched) and were placed into a situation by circumstances. I just don't like people who are too lazy or stupid to use contraceptives figuring they can just get an abortion later. And I've seen that happen too often for anyone to try and dismiss it. With that out of the way, I am pro-choice. I may think the use of abortion as birth control - especially primary birth control - is morally reprehensible, I think it's more morally reprehensible to deny abortion to a victim of rape or incest, or force a woman to have the child when carrying the child will kill the mother or in other exigent circumstances. My ideal for abortion is "safe, legal and never."

Topic #2: Homosexuality/Bisexuality.
I don't give a crap what you want to do in your own bedroom with another consenting adult. I really don't. I'm only interested in women. Respect that and I will respect your preference. That being said, on the issue of gay marriage... will someone PLEASE tell me what the actual damn problem is here? Is it the rights? Is it the name "marriage?" What if we literally strip the word marriage from any state, legislative or legal meaning and call everything that is govt recognized a civil union or domestic partnership and make marriage purely a communal/religious/personal status? I've seen this idea put forward before. Lots of religious people oppose it. Lots of people who are rooted in tradition oppose it. But the people who've opposed it most? Are the ones pushing for gay marriage. Marriage, to the best of my knowledge, is not a constitutionally guaranteed and protected right. And even if it is, our rights are NOT unlimited - almost all of our rights are subject to governmental limitations, whether in the form of taxation, prohibitions against certain behaviors, prescribing proper arenas for certain behavior, etc. You have the right to file a lawsuit, for example, but only following proper governmental procedures. Every time gay marriage has come up for a popular vote, it has been voted down. This topic is too aggravating to go into more detail now.

Topic #3: "Race"
Ooh, big, scary topic. Not. I don't give a damn if you are black, white, green, purple or yellow. It makes not one bit of difference to me. What does make a difference to me is what kind of person you are. How you conduct yourself. How you act. I will treat you with respect if you treat others with respect. If you act like an idiot, I will treat you like an idiot. No one is entitled to anything just because of who they are. No matter what happened a hundred years ago. If real discrimination is encountered, it needs to be dealt with - no matter whether it is against a particular race, religion, gender, nationality, etc (even if it's against a group you think "can't" be discriminated against) - but crying racism all the time over everything detracts from the impact of the claim when it's warranted. Especially when the claim is used as a smokescreen to try and obscure a real issue.

Ok, these are a few basic topics. I've got more opinions - on healthcare, insurance, tort law, the constitution, religion, crime and punishment - which I'll get into later. And I'll get into these topics above too. But not right now. Right now, I have a warm bed calling my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment